Saturday, April 16, 2005

Montreal/ Toronto 1990s Modern Primitives

LOST? Go to the PUNKS & PROVOCATEURS BLOG INDEX . List of BANDS and SUBJECTS on this site BY NAME with DIRECT LINKS.
In 1990 I took a course at McGill entitled, "Masochism and Popular Culture", taught by Brian Massumi. It introduced me to materials and ideas which inspired my "Personal Needs" exhibit. One such book was "Modern Primitives", a Research publication.

Pierre

I also met Pierre (who later started Black Sun" piercing . Pierre is also in my THREE PART BODYSERIES and SCHATTENSPIEL TAROT("PAN" and "LOVERS" cards) . ) We collaborated on some zines he produced- Torn Scrotum", and other projects. Barely out of his teens, Pierre introduced the "straight" (as opposed to "gay") Montreal community to his version of the S&M scene- not to say it didn't exist before him, but just not in the same way! Definitely not as pretty before his arrival, with an entourage of black PVC clad, spiked, pierced, branded tattooed and gorgeous young punks! (You are getting an insight into my personal perspective on "pretty", here. ) It certainly beat (ahem) the traditional view of cellulite stuffed into Marks and Sparks, with the odd nipple clamp for emphasis. Though that has its photographic appeal too, I must admit. I read somewhere of a mythic, hidden archive of Diane Arbus' photographic foray into the New York S&M scene of the '70s. I can imagine what subjects she would have pursued, Marks and Sparks gals among them. I photographed a few events and have always wondered how or where to show them. It is somewhat problematic. People obviously agreed to be photographed and some were in public spaces, nevertheless... I've included a few in the show as it marks an important transition in the punk movement. Punks formerly incorporated S&M gear in their style of dress, but more "tongue in cheek" rather than... well, "tongue in cheek". Anyway. Extreme piercings, tribal tattoos all became part of the scene , which I documented to a large degree in my studio series, "Three Part Bodyseries". The photos were of people in my milieu- inspired by the things going on in the bars, homes and private affairs of people I knew. Some of the events are documented here. I personally saw a connection between the Aids crisis- the growing fear and taboo involving blood, and an overt reaction in the punk community to it. Rejection/ denial/ confrontation/ provocation, which culminated in "Modern Primitives" blood rituals such as public piercings, needle play and so forth. Assimilate the fear. It's an idea.

modern prim Kox ad
Nat and Pierre, shot in my studio on St.Laurent
Nat
Nat is now an internationally known tattoo artist! Nat is also in my THREE PART BODYSERIES
wolfgang
Wolfgang is in my THREE PART BODYSERIES
MARIAGE ALTERNATIVE WEDDINGS: I photographed Nat's punk wedding in Montreal at the City Hall in "95! Also see Vava Vol's wedding party in 1990!
t
Toni is with Pierre in the SCHATTENSPIEL TAROT("PAN" and "LOVERS" cards) .
Thomaskosma

Nat's party in the Cadbury Building!
Thomas
Thomas, from the Three Part Bodyseries (Part 1) Thomas is in my THREE PART BODYSERIES and SCHATTENSPIEL TAROT ("DEATH" card) . )




HELP SUPPORT THIS SITE! Leave a TIP via PAYPAL!









No comments:

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Linda Dawn Hammond,MFA, AKA Dawn One, is a photographer and journalist. As a teenager in 1976, she began covering music events for various magazines. During the late 70s she became involved in punk, documenting an insider's perspective of the music, political and social scenes in Montreal, Toronto, NYC, the UK and Europe, included in this blog as photographs and commentary. Linda Dawn Hammond continues to work as a photojournalist, specializing in music, cinema, art and politics. As a fine arts photographer, she has exhibited in galleries in North America and the UK, and published widely.